Goat Curry Recipe Fun Way to Try This Healthy Animal Protein
Below is an easy recipe to give goat meat, which is a healthy animal protein option, a try. For more information contact Lindsey Stevenson, a nutrition and health specialist with University of Missouri Extension, by (417) 682-3579 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup curry powder
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds goat meat, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 4 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 4 bay leaves
- Brown rice and peas, for serving
· For the marinade: Mix the soy sauce, curry powder, garlic, basil, crushed pepper, oregano and black pepper in a large bowl. Add the goat to the bowl and marinate overnight.
· For the curry: Remove the goat from the marinade. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the goat. Turn the heat to medium and sear the goat until brown, about 15 minutes. Add the coconut milk and 4 cups water. Cover and cook, about 2 hours.
· Add the onions, bell peppers, carrots, green onions and bay leaves and simmer, about 1 hour.
· Serve with rice and peas.
Source: Environmental Nutrition, Volume 39, Issue 12